My name is JoAnna and I am awkward…
I was super excited to learn that today is National Awkward Moments Day. I have no idea how or when it started, but I do the quirkiest things and actually have learned to embrace my awkwardness. For years I felt bad for being awkward. I didn’t know how to deal with it and it was worst when others pointed it out.
How do I know I’m awkward?
- Being social can sometimes be draining
- I can’t flirt to save my life
- I’m super clumsy when I’m nervous (it’s MUCH worst when I like you)
- Funny faces in pictures are common
- I make up weird words
- Hugging people sometimes is just…no
- I overthink EVERYTHING
- Some of my best friends are awkward too…they GET me!
How do I deal with being awkward?
- Realize I’m not alone – everyone experiences awkward moments one way or another
- Practice conversations in the mirror
- Associate myself with people that aren’t so awkward
- Be adventurous and do more things out of my comfort zone.
- Stop caring about what others think and just be me
I’m not always the best with words either. There are tons of situations where I have no clue what to do or say and feel weird about the response. I’ve learned that sometimes words aren’t needed; presence and actions mean much more. Being “socially known” doesn’t mean you don’t have awkward moments either. NOBODY is perfect. My friend Renee says being awkward kind of works for me. I guess…
Do you consider yourself awkward? If so, how do you deal with it?