I spent my first vacation this year in Toronto to attend the Scotia Bank Caribbean Carnival (Caribana). My first event was to the King and Queen Showcase at Lamport Stadium. It is a good, clean, AFFORDABLE show for family and anyone interested in West Indian culture that keeps the ‘old mas’ tradition going. This year’s halftime show included performances by JW and Blaze, Iwer George, Drupatee, and K. Rich.
Mas Bands and their themes for 2014 included
- Toronto Revellers – Warrior
- Fantazia International – Unleash Your Fantasy
- Louis Saldenah Mas-K Club – River of Mirrors
- Carnival Nationz – HavanaTribal Carnival – Secret of Wingz
- Connections Mastumes Band – Forces of Nature
- Concept Costume Creators – Precious Jewels
- Carnival Revolution – Visions in the Night
Here’s a video of some of the band’s performances
Congrats to Carnival Nationz as they swept the competition by winning all four mas titles. Their “Havana” them was very creative and gave me hopes to visit Cuba one day. Last summer was my first King and Queen experience and I loved it more this year. Toronto has become one of my favorite summer destinations, especially during the Carnival season. I plan to still come to king and queen, even when I’m not playing mas.
Have you ever attended the King and Queen showcase?