There are times when we experience afternoon fatigue working full-time in an office. While a nap would be ideal, it’s just not always possible. Heading to our nearest coffee shop is usually the first option to boost our energy for the remainder of the day. It works for most people, but what do you do when you’re trying to limit your caffeine intake? If you’ve been trying to stop the afternoon slump or even save money from constant coffee breaks, here are some different ways to avoid afternoon fatigue.
Afternoon Fatigue Symptoms
In order to avoid the mid-day slump, it is important to notice the signs. Below are some common symptoms of afternoon fatigue.
- Short tempered and/or moody
- Extreme yawning
- Falling asleep at your desk
How to Avoid Afternoon Fatigue
- Check Your Sleeping Habits – A lot of times we experience afternoon fatigue because of poor sleeping habits. Create a night-time routine and stick to it. Try going to bed around the same time every night and avoid doing work in bed. This would give your mind and body the idea that the bedroom is for sleep, not working.
- Exercise – Exercising may be the last thing on your mind when it comes to being tired, but increased blood flow releases energy. You don’t even have to make it to the gym to exercise. Check out these 10 exercises you can do right at your desk.
- Watch What You Eat – Avoid foods that are high in sodium and fat, refined carbs…pretty much junk food. Instead have lean meats, fruits and vegetables, and foods with good fat such as nuts, avocados, and fish.
- Stay Hydrated – Are you drinking water? You may be tired simply because you’re dehydrated. Avoid the sugary sodas and juices and start drinking more water. If leaving a glass of water by your desk isn’t motivation enough, purchase or create your own DIY Motivational water bottle.
- Take a Break – Depending on a number of hours worked, you should be granted a break. If the weather is nice, go outside for a walk and take a breath of the [somewhat] fresh air.
What are some other ways to avoid afternoon fatigue? Share them below!