This post “Weekend Ski Trip Packing List” is not sponsored, but contain some affiliate links. For more information on the sponsored post and/or affiliate link policy, please click here.
Since my trip to Bali, I haven’t done much traveling so I’ve been doing more things in and around NYC. Last fall, I went wine tasting with church friends at Tolino Vineyards and we planned a weekend ski trip in the Poconos for the Winter. It was a first-time skiing experience for all of us so we purchased a first-time learn to ski package from Shawnee Mountain Ski Area which is one of the best ski resorts for first-timers.
Where to Stay for a Weekend Ski Trip in the Poconos
Four our weekend ski trip in the Poconos, we rented a timeshare through Pocono Mountain Villas. A benefit of staying in the villa was having full access to the resort’s on-site amenities including the pool and jacuzzi area. Even though we didn’t stay long, it was a good way to relax after a long day in the cold and on the slopes of Shawnee Mountain Ski Area. The villa had a full kitchen and dining area, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a loft area in addition to a couch with a pull-out mattress. If you’re planning a friend or family ski trip in the Poconos, you can check for hotels that offer a ski weekend package. Popular resorts that offer ski weekend package deals for groups and families are Shawnee Inn, Camelback Resort, and Mount Airy Casino Resort.
Essentials for Skiing
When planning our group trip, we created a group chat to keep each other posted on the weekend activities and ski trip essentials to pack. Since we purchased the first time learn to ski package, basic ski gear like the skis, ski poles, and ski boots were already included. If you plan on skiing on a regular basis, I suggest purchasing your own skis, ski poles, and ski boots. In addition to ski equipment, here are some other ski trip essentials and ski clothing that are more practical buys for first-timers and one-off ski goers.
Ski Trip Essentials: Base Layers
When packing for a winter trip that involves skiing, a base layer is essential. Most of my friends purchased top and bottom HeatTech base layers from Uniqlo which go up to size XXL. My sister and I purchased fleece-lined thermal sets from Amazon.
Base Layer Tops
Base Layer Bottoms
Ski Trip Essentials: Jackets, Ski Pants, or Snowsuits
Ski jackets and pants are windproof, waterproof, and provide extra insulation to keep you warm on the slopes. If you don’t have a ski jacket or ski pants, I suggest you get some. Even if you do not get a ski jacket, consider purchasing ski pants to keep your legs warm and wear a mid-length parka as I did.
Waterproof Ski Jacket
Ski Trip Essentials: Cold Weather Accessories
The last of type ski essential to consider are cold-weather accessories. Make sure to at least bring along a hat, neck gaiter, ski gloves, and warm ski socks. If you plan on doing more skiing or even snowboarding, consider purchasing ski goggles, a helmet. We also packed some hand and foot warmers since the first time learn to ski package at Shawnee Mountain Ski Area was an all-day pass.
Ski Trip Packing List
Since we only stayed from Friday night until Sunday afternoon, I packed extremely light. I used packing cubes to fit all of my clothes in my travel backpack. I also brought along what I call my “knockabout bag” to carry my camera, phone, wallet, and other items. If it’s your first time skiing or you’re wondering what to pack for a ski trip, here’s everything I brought and items to include in a potential packing list for skiing.
View this post on Instagram
What to Pack for Skiing: Clothes & Shoes
- 1 Parka – I didn’t go out to purchase a new jacket, so I wore my everyday Calvin Klein Parka to keep warm.
- 2 Sweaters – Since we arrived at the villa on Friday night, I packed two sweaters for Saturday and Sunday.
- 2 pairs of leggings – To wear underneath my jeans and sweats
- 1 pair of ski pants – I purchased a pair of ski pants a few days prior to my trip
- 1 pair of sweatpants – I wore these underneath my ski pants and over my leggings
- 2 pairs of jeans – 1 for traveling on Friday night and one for traveling on Sunday
- 4 pairs of underwear – I always bring 2-3 times more pairs of underwear than I need for the week just in case.
- 1 Bathing Suit -To wear in the pool and jacuzzi area of the resort.
- 2 bras – Because we need to wear bras…
- 3 pairs of socks– One pair of socks for each day I stayed.
- Something to sleep in – Since we were in the mountains, I wore thermal pajamas to keep warm
- Flip flops – To wear around the villa
- Snow Boots – I had no idea ski boots were a thing. I purchased these snow boots from Amazon and I’m upset that I’ve been missing out on warm and cozy toes for the winter.
Things to take Skiing: Toiletries
Since we were going to be out on the slopes, I packed a sheet mask to give my face some TLC after a day out in the cold. I also brought along some items from the Pixi Rose Skintreats collection to keep up with my skincare routine. Here are some travel beauty items and toiletries I brought along.
- Shower gel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shea Butter
- Facial Moisturizer with SPF
- Lip balm
- 1 Sheet Mask
- Satin hair scarf
Accessories and Miscellaneous Items
Here are some other things we brought for our weekend ski trip that packing list for snow trip.
- Water Bottle – You need to stay hydrated if you’ll be out all day
- Scarf & Gloves – Again, cold
- Camera – I brought along my Sony a6000, but barely used it.
- WINE – What’s a weekend ski trip without wine?!
- Games – Our game of choice for the night was Midnight Taboo and it was LOTS of fun.
At the end of the day, we had a great time skiing at Shawnee Mountain Ski Area and an overall fun weekend. Even though we fell, we enjoyed our first time skiing experience. Hopefully, it won’t be the last.