This post “Weekend Ski Trip Packing List” is not sponsored, but contain some affiliate links. For more information on the sponsored post and/or affiliate link policy, please click here.
Since my trip to Bali, I haven’t done much traveling so I’ve been doing more things in and around NYC. Last fall, I went wine tasting with church friends at Tolino Vineyards and we planned a weekend ski trip in the Poconos for the Winter. It was a first time skiing experience for all of us so we purchased a first time learn to ski package from Shawnee Mountain Ski Area which is one of the best ski resorts for first-timers.
Where to Stay for a Weekend Ski Trip in the Poconos
Four our weekend ski trip in the Poconos, we rented a timeshare through Pocono Mountain Villas. A benefit of staying in the villa was having full access to the resort’s on-site amenities including the pool and jacuzzi area. Even though we didn’t stay long, it was a good way to relax after a long day in the cold and on the slopes of Shawnee Mountain Ski Area. The villa had a full kitchen and dining area, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a loft area in addition to a couch with a pull-out mattress. If you’re planning a friends or family ski trip in the Poconos, you can check for hotels that offer a ski weekend package. Popular resorts that offer ski weekend package deals for groups and families are Shawnee Inn, Camelback Resort, and Mount Airy Casino Resort.
Essentials for a Ski Trip
When planning our group trip, we created a group chat to keep each other posted on the weekend activities and ski trip essentials to pack. Since we purchased the first time learn to ski package, skis and ski boots were already included. If you plan on skiing on a regular basis, I suggest purchasing your own skis, poles, and ski boots. In addition to equipment, here are some other ski trip essentials that are more practical for first-timers and one-off ski goers.
Ski Trip Essentials: Thermal Layers
When packing for a winter trip for skiing, remember to bring along thermal layers. Most of my friends purchased heat-tech thermals from Uniqlo while my sister and I purchased ours on Amazon.
Ski Trip Essentials: Jackets & Ski Pants
Ski jackets and pants are windproof, waterproof and provide extra insulation to keep you warm on the slopes. If you don’t have a ski jacket or ski pants, I suggest you get some. Even if you do not get a ski jacket, consider purchasing ski pants to keep your legs warm and wear a mid-length parka as I did.
Ski Trip Essentials: Accessories
The last ski trip essential to consider are the accessories. Make sure to bring along a hat, gloves, and warm socks at a minimum. If you plan on doing more skiing or even snowboarding, consider purchasing ski goggles, a helmet. We also packed some hand and foot warmers since the first time learn to ski package at Shawnee Mountain Ski Area was an all-day pass.
Ski Trip Packing List
Since we only stayed from Friday night-Sunday afternoon, I packed extremely light, using my packing cubes to fit all my clothes in my travel backpack. I also brought along what I call my “knockabout bag” to carry my camera, phone, wallet, and other items. If it’s your first time skiing or you’re wondering what to bring for a ski trip, here’s what I brought.
View this post on Instagram
Ski Trip Packing List – Clothing
- 1 Parka – I didn’t go out to purchase a new jacket, so I wore my everyday Calvin Klein Parka to keep warm.
- 2 Sweaters – Since we arrived at the villa on Friday night, I packed two sweaters for Saturday and Sunday.
- 2 pairs of leggings – To wear underneath my jeans and sweats
- 1 pair of ski pants – I purchased a pair of ski pants a few days prior to my trip
- 1 pair of sweatpants – I wore these underneath my ski pants and over my leggings
- 2 pairs of jeans – 1 for traveling on Friday night and one for traveling on Sunday
- 4 pairs of underwear – I always bring 2-3 times more pairs of underwear than I need for the week just in case.
- 1 Bathing Suit -To wear in the pool and jacuzzi area of the resort.
- 2 bras – Because we need to wear bras…
- 3 pairs of socks– One pair of socks for each day I stayed.
- Something to sleep in – Since we were in the mountains, I wore thermal pajamas to keep warm
Ski Trip Packing List – Shoes
- Flip flops – To wear around the villa
- Snow Boots – I had no idea ski boots were a thing. I purchased these snow boots from Amazon and I’m upset that I’ve been missing out on warm and cozy toes for the winter.
Ski Trip Packing List – Toiletries
Since we were going to be out on the slopes, I packed a sheet mask to give my face some TLC after a day out in the cold. I also brought along some items from the Pixi Rose Skintreats collection to keep up with my skincare routine. Here are some other basics I brought along.
- Shower gel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shea Butter
- Moisturizer with SPF
- Lip balm
- 1 Sheet Mask
- Satin hair scarf
Ski Trip Packing List – Accessories and Miscellaneous Items
Here are some other things we brought for our weekend ski trip.
- Scarf & Gloves – Again, cold
- Camera – I brought along my Sony a6000, but barely used it.
- WINE – What’s a weekend ski trip without wine?!
- Games – Our game of choice for the night was Midnight Taboo and it was LOTS of fun.
At the end of the day, we had a great time skiing at Shawnee Mountain Ski Area and an overall fun weekend. Even though we fell, we enjoyed our first time skiing experience. Hopefully, it won’t be the last.