Who doesn’t love a weekend getaway? Back in 2017, I went on a 3-day cruise to The Bahamas with my oldest sister onboard Carnival Victory and we had the best time. On our trip, I received DM’s and emails about what to bring along, so I’m sharing my simple Bahamas cruise packing list. Outside of packing for Blogalicious 9, this was the easiest trip I had to pack for this year. If you’re wondering what to take on a 3-day Bahamas cruise, here’s a list of what to pack for a cruise to the Bahamas with friends or family.
View this post on Instagram
Earlier this month my oldest sister and I set sail for a weekend cruise to the Bahamas on @carnival Victory. #ontheblog I’m sharing what we did and some tips on what to do in such a short time. Click the link in my bio to read more. #cruisingcarnival #joannaetravels #CarnivalCruise #carnivalvictory #weekendcruise #traveltuesday
What to Pack for a cruise to the Bahamas
When packing for a 3 day Bahamas cruise, check weather trends and average temperatures for your destination. As previously mentioned, packing for my weekend Bahamas cruise was the easiest trip I’ve ever packed for.
As always, I used packing cubes to organize all the clothing in my carry-on and a toiletry bag for body and hair essentials. Since temperatures can get pretty cold, bring enough clothes and undergarments for layering. Below are some packing essentials for a weekend cruise and my personal packing list for our 3 day Bahamas cruise.
One of the most important items to have on your Bahamas cruise packing list is documentation. To speed up the boarding process, check in before heading to the cruise port. Bring a valid Passport, Passport Card, or Enhanced driver’s license to get your Sail and Sign Card. A Sail and Sign Card is a cashless system used for all onboard purchases and services. It also gets you into your cabin. You should have your Carnival Sail and Sign Card with you at all times so consider purchasing or creating custom lanyards for safekeeping.
Toiletries & Medication
Since you’ll be on vacation, make sure to pack toiletries and necessary medication. If you’re natural and aren’t protective styling, bring along your staple hair products if you plan on being in the water at the beach or pool. In addition to basic toiletry bag essentials, make sure to bring along any prescription or over-the-counter medication.
If you get motion sickness easily, pack any motion sickness medicine like Dramamine or motion sickness wristbands. Don’t forget the sunscreen; you do NOT want to get sunburned or increase the chances of skin damage. Here are some travel toiletries and travel beauty products I made sure to pack for this 3-day weekend cruise.
- Shower gel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Moisturizer with SPF
- Lip balm
- Satin scarf & hair bonnet
- Hair butter
Footwear for a 3 Day Bahamas Cruise
Since I pack light, I only brought three forms of footwear. It’s a good idea to get footwear that has multiple uses. If you’re doing shore excursions like kayaking or horseback riding, get some water shoes to protect your feet. Below is the footwear I brought for our weekend cruise.
- Flip Flops – I used flip flops as shower shoes.
- Sandals – For formal or casual dinners. You can also wear sandals throughout the duration of the cruise.
- Sneakers – For walking to and from the port.
Beach or Day Bag
When getting off the ship, you would need to have a tote bag to carry all of your must-haves. I like to call this my “knock-about” bag when traveling. If you’re doing a beach trip on your cruise stop, make sure to have one big enough for your sun hat and beach day essentials.
What to Wear on a Cruise
When packing for a Caribbean cruise in December, you need to be mindful of the weather in your starting and ending destinations. Coming from NYC, the weather is much cooler than Miami and the Bahamas so I needed to have appropriate clothing for multiple temperatures. Below are some clothing suggestions on what to pack for a cruise to the Bahamas.
- 2 Sundresses – I brought two sundresses to wear at the sail away party and our day trip to the Warwick Bahamas. Sundresses are easy to roll and fit in any carry-on suitcase.
- 2 Pairs of Shorts – Shorts are easy to wear with cute tops and t-shirts and can be used to cover up when wearing a one-piece bathing suit. I brought two pairs of shorts to wear after coming back from the Warwick Resort and for our day trip to Wynwood.
- 4-6 Tops – Depending on my mood, I usually pack 1-2 tops for every bottom. In addition to needing a top for our day at sea and layover in Miami, I needed a long-sleeved top going back home to NYC. If you’re going on a 3-day cruise with a large group, you can also consider creating a design for matching t-shirts.
- 1 formal outfit – 3-day cruises come with one formal dinner in the main dining rooms. The best dinner is usually made on this night. Make sure to dress to impress; you have the opportunity to take professional photos on formal night.
View this post on Instagram
Back in Miami, but my sister and I had an awesome weekend onboard Carnival Victory. The food & entertainment were on point and we can’t wait to come back with the rest of the family. Thanks to the staff at @carnival for making it extra special for us. ? #cruisingcarnival #joannaetravels #jackiejphotography #sistersister #weekendtrip #nilesgirls
- 2 Casual Outfits – For other nights there is a casual dress code for dinner, night shows, or activities. You can wear a summer dress, a blouse with a skirt, or a two-piece set. If you rather not dine in the dining room, the Lido deck usually has a more relaxed dress code.
- Swimwear & Coverups – I didn’t spend much time in the pools, but I made sure to pack 3 bathing suits and coverups for sunbathing on Deck 10, our trip to the Warwick, and beach time in Miami. Pack a variety of swimwear that includes bikinis, monokinis, and one-piece swimsuits because you need options.
- Pajamas and Underwear – For this 3-day cruise, I brought a t-shirt and shorts to wear as pajamas. You can always bring an extra set just in case.
- (Optional) Excursion Outfits – If you plan on taking an excursion, make sure to bring the appropriate gear. You don’t want to be uncomfortable by wearing the wrong type of clothes for water activities or shoes for a walking tour. Its best to have a bathing suit and change of clothes to be dry.
- Jeans or Sweats – The saddest part about our cruise was going back home. I made sure to pack some jeans for traveling back to the NYC cold.
- Light Jacket or Sweater – I know this is a post about going on a 3-day Bahamas Cruise, but if you’ve ever visited the Caribbean, you know it gets chilly at night. Consider adding a light jacket or sweater to your Bahamas packing list. If you’re ALWAYS COLD like me, the air conditioner in dining and activities may be a bit much for you. It also comes in handy when walking on the deck or being out on the balcony at night. Being on and by the water, you can definitely encounter a cold front.
I made sure to also include electronic essentials. Below are the must-have electronics I included in my Bahamas cruise packing list.
- Camera & Lenses – A benefit of traveling with a photographer is getting dope pictures. I brought my Sony a6000 and used the kit, 50mm, and 75-200mm lenses.
- Cell Phone – At the time I had an iPhone 5s. I took some photos with this too.
- Charging cables – Along with my cell phone, I needed a charger for my camera
- GoPro or another action camera (optional) – I have an action camera, but barely use it. If you want to vlog your 3 day cruise, a GoPro is a good choice.